Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Soulmate


It's getting late, but my son slept a little too long today and is wide awake, playing happily with his basket of toys, and although I'm tired and would gladly love to go to bed and sleep deeply, I am quite content sitting here, reflecting on an eventful weekend. My Dad went to the hospital four days ago to have back surgery. My husband, who has been out of town for work for nearly a week, also came home for the weekend. So the time was split between hanging out with my honey and spending time with my Mom and Dad. I learned that seeing your parents in pain is no easy task. It's horrible. You feel so helpless. And I have had to learn, being married to a military man, that time apart can be very difficult, but can also help you grow closer together. You can't miss someone if they're never gone, right?? There is a HUGE difference between splitting up with someone when you are unhappy in the relationship, and being away from someone who makes your world go round. I have been so enormously blessed with the love of an extraordinary man. He came into my life when I least expected it, and things have never been the same since! He truly amazes me with his goodness. I prayed so many nights for someone who had certain qualities. I was very specific, not wanting to go through a replay of my last marriage. Not only was I specific, but I had a long list of things I wanted in a person. Maybe it was high in expectation, but that is what leaves me in awe. Not only did God send me a man that met all of the expectations I asked for, he sent me a man that exceeds them! Shane didn't even so much as hesitate to take on the roll of Dad, which in itself is an enormous task to take on, but he was willing to be with me, a girl who had a lot of issues, a lot of character flaws. Through the emotional support he has and continually does provide, I have found that slowly but surely, I have been able to retain a sense of confidence, trust, and true joy. I am so blessed to have found someone who loves my daughter like his own and to have had the wonderous joy of extending our little family to include a fantastic little boy. He constantly re-enacts anything he sees his father do, and I find this comforting. For there are no better shoes for him to follow in than that of his daddy. Shane is a pillar of strength, love, patience, and heart. Many people spend their entire lives searching for what we have, and I thank God every day for bringing an angel into my life to guard me, befriend me, and love me. I love you, Shane. Always and forever, your wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment